Choosing to move forward with joint replacement surgery can offer many benefits such as improved mobility, less pain, and better joint function. Joint replacement surgeons in Plano can help you through the pre and post-surgery period to ensure that you know what to expect and how to help aid in a speedy recovery. Your recovery period will depend on a lot of factors and your surgeon will discuss the specifics of your recovery with you. Physicians participating in the Texas Health Spine and Orthopedic Center referral line in Plano provide several treatment options for a variety of orthopedic conditions including total joint replacement surgery. In this blog, we look at some of the things that you need to do before and after joint replacement surgery to ensure a hassle-free stay in the hospital and a speedy recovery at home.
Prepare a List
The first thing that you need to do before surgery is prepare a to-do list. Such items can be classified according to the time frame when they are supposed to be carried out such as a week before surgery, the day before surgery, and the morning of the surgery. Let’s look at some of the typical things that you need to cover.
Week before surgery
Some of the things that you may need to take care of at least a week before surgery include:
- Getting special equipment installed around your home to assist you in doing regular activities such as climbing the stairs and taking a bath.
- Take time to practice going up and down the staircase with a walker as well as getting in and out of your car.
- Rearrange furniture or other household items that may make moving around difficult.
Day before surgery
A day before surgery, some of the important things to do include:
- Pack your bag with basic items such as comfortable clothes, mobile phone, toiletries, and a book to read.
- Do not bring any valuables with you to the hospital. You can always make arrangements for someone to bring you your valuable items that you may need after the surgery such as your laptop.
- Do not consume any food or liquids after midnight.
- Prepare a detailed list of any medications and medical records that you have, including the dosages and any known allergies
- Wash with antibacterial soap before you go to bed.
- Go over all hospital instructions.
Morning of the surgery
On the morning of the surgery, the things that you need to remember include:
- Leave all valuables at home including cash and jewelry.
- Bring the list of your medications, dosages, and allergies with you.
- Do not eat or drink anything.
Get Connected to the Joint Replacement Specialists in Plano!
Contact the Texas Health Spine and Orthopedic Center in Plano to discuss scheduling an appointment to see a joint replacement surgeon. The participating orthopedic doctor in Plano can help you plan for your joint replacement surgery, hospital stay, and see you through your recovery period. Call us today to get connected with a joint replacement surgeon in Plano for your specific condition at 888 608 4762. You can also set an appointment and we will contact you as soon as possible to answer your questions about foot pain treatment in Plano.
Physicians who are members of the referral program practice independently and are not employees or agents of Texas Health Spine and Orthopedic.